E. Erstad-Jørgensen, the Park Office of the City of Copenhagen
City of Copenhagen
In the 1990s the square was renovated. The square was covered with sett paving, the parterre was replanted, and lime trees were replanted along Krinsen.
The square, encircled by buildings on five sides, was paved with cobblestones in 1670, and the equestrian statue of Christian V on horseback was raised in 1688. It is the oldest equestrian statue and royal sculpture in the city. Round 'the Horse' an elliptical ring of trees was planted (Krinsen). It had disappeared when the innermost trees, a dozen of free-growing elms, were planted in the mid-19th century. In 1908 a parterre with ornamental box trees was laid out. Eight years later Krinsen (the ring of trees) was recreated with elm trees, which were kept pruned back.